While the city of River Rouge was not officially founded until 1922, it has been deemed “A Bicentennial City,” as it was first settled in 1808. Throughout its over 200 years of history, River Rouge has played an integral part in Metro-Detroit’s industrial scene. The city or River Rouge owes much of its industrial importance to its bordering waterways, the Detroit and Rouge Rivers. Zug Island, which manufactures both iron and steel and accounts for .93 of the city’s 3.4 square miles, has capitalized on the intersection of the two rivers with its location. Today, River Rouge is home to just under 8,000 citizens and serves as the Northeastern border of the Downriver community.