The building that houses the River Rouge Historical Museum was built in 1928 by Gallagher family who utilized the building as both a funeral home and living quarters. The business closed in the late 1970s and was modified to accommodate office space for the Whitehead & Kales company. The building changed hands yet again when National Steel purchased it subsequent to Whitehead & Kales Company's closing their doors. National Steel used the building to house their computer center from the time they took over the structure in the 1980s. National Steel donated the building to the City of River Rouge in 1998. The building was soon reopened by the City of River Rouge as the River Rouge Historical Museum. The museum's collections includes parlor furniture from the late 19th century, an extensive photograph collection dating back to 1914, as well as various sentimental pieces that have special significance to the the citizens of River Rouge.
About the River Rouge Historical Museum
Judy Cooksy & Sue Rennie
Interested in volunteering?
The museum is always in need of volunteers. Volunteers can help with tours by walking visitors around the museum and providing them with information relating to the photographs or displays, as well as sharing their personal anecdotes about the people and the events of River Rouge's history. Museum volunteers also assist in sorting and filing records in the museum's reference room. With volunteer efforts, the museum is able to maintain its current hours of operation.
River Rouge Historical Museum
10750 W. Jefferson Ave.
River Rouge, Michigan 48218
The River Rouge Historical museum is open the 2nd and 3rd Sundays of the month 12:00 - 4:00